Preparing Your House for Sale
One of the first things I will do before putting your house on the market is prepare your house for sale. I want to show your house off in its best light to maximize your earning potential. I will tour your house with the eye of a buyer – what works, what doesn’t work.
Does your house have curb appeal? Can we give it a little more pizzazz to draw the buyer in? Would a bit of touch-up paint add dollars to the sale? What about the garden? Is the lawn in order and neatly edged? Are trees and bushes neatly pruned? Are flowers in bloom? If not, it may be time for a garden upgrade. Adding colorful annuals to the front garden will make a big difference. Remember, creating curb appeal will add dollars to your house’s final selling price.
Curb Appeal Checklist
Check the home from the roof line down.
- Is the roof free and clear from obstructions and moss?
- Are the gutters clear and neatly hung?
- Are the windows clean and free from obstructions (such as overgrown bushes or trees)?
- Are bushes, trees and shrubs neatly pruned?
Inspect the condition of the paint or siding.
- Is it time to power wash the siding?
- Is touch up paint needed?
- Is the front door in good shape?
Do flower beds need an upgrade?
- Are plants neatly pruned?
- Is the bed free and clear of weeds?
- Is the bed properly mulched?
- Are flowers in bloom?
Keep the lawn neatly groomed.
- Is the lawn free from weeds?
- Is the lawn free from grass clippings?
- Is the lawn neatly edged?
As I walk in the door of your house, I will ask myself, “Will this house say, ‘Welcome home’ to a buyer?” Looking through the eyes of a buyer, I will recommend changes that will enhance sales appeal.
I’ll help you eliminate anything that gives the appearance of clutter. Countertops should be free and clear. Knickknacks, souvenirs, family photos, refrigerator artwork – it’s gone. We need to “de-personalize” the house so buyers can imagine it as their home.
Closets and cupboards should appear large and roomy. It’s time to make a donation to a local charity or store belongings at a friend’s or family member’s home.
Reviewing your home room-by-room, I will make recommendations that impact the sale. I’ll point out the pieces of furniture that should be removed, rooms that need new paint, carpet that needs to be changed, fixtures that need polishing, windows that need cleaning, and any other improvement that can easily be made to promote the sale.
Welcome Home Checklist
Remove all clutter from the house, religious items & personal photos.
- Are countertops free and clear?
- Have you removed unnecessary furniture throughout the house?
- Remove the art gallery and coupon collection from the refrigerator.
- If possible, remove or limit religious items and personal photo
Check the bathrooms.
- Are the surfaces clean and clear?
- Are shower curtains and doors hung properly?
- Is the flooring clean and fresh?
- Are towels neatly hung?
Check the walls.
- Is paint and wallpaper fresh and clean?
- Are the walls free from holes?
- Are there any colors or objects on the walls that need to be removed?
Check the floors.
- Is the carpet clean and free from stains?
- Are hard surface floors clean and free from stains?
Check windows and window coverings.
- Are all the windows clean?
- Are draperies and blinds clean?
- Are there any signs that this is a pet’s home?
- Be sure to clean and remove kitty litter, pet toys and bedding.
How’s the aroma?
- Try to air out the home prior to showings
- If air freshener is necessary, use well before showings as a consideration to those with allergies.
Set the mood prior to showings.
- Open draperies and blinds
- Turn on the radio to a classical music station, set the volume on low.
- If you have time, cook a batch of cookies to have the warm, welcoming aroma permeating the home.
Setting the Stage
Before the first buyer walks in your door, I’ll show you how to set the stage. We want to engage the buyer’s senses. Lighting is critical. We’ll draw back curtains, open blinds, change light bulbs and add lighting where needed to welcome the buyer. We’ll enhance the ambiance with music playing lightly in the background and insure a pleasing aroma emanates from every room.